Welcome to the Playwrights Network of AATE!
This Network supports playwrights and advocates of quality new plays for youth. Activities include publishing the Award Winning Plays list, as well as the Unpublished Play Project and the Playwrights in Our Schools residency project.
What Do Playwrights Need to Know?Click here to find 21 answers from Sandra Fenichel Asher, Max Bush, Diane Crews, Carol Korty, Joanna Kraus, Judy Matetzschk, James Still, and Dorothy Webb.
How Can I Increase My Exposure On AATE's Website? AATE member playwrights can create their own personalized web pages to promote their latest work. Links to these pages are provided in the Playwrights Network Directory. For instructions, click here to download the PowerPoint document. (If you are experiencing difficulty with the download, you can also click here to view as a video clip.)
What Projects Are Sponsored By the Playwrights Network?
- Playwrights In Our Schools (PIOS) In March of each year, the AATE Playwriting Network brings award-winning writers into selected schools for three day residencies to rehearse and present a new play and, most importantly, teach students the process of developing a new script. Program funding has come from grants received from Broadway Across America-Utah and Children's Theatre Foundation of America (CTFA). [Read more...]
For information on Playwrights In Our Schools, contact John Newman. Applications for residencies are distributed in September.
- Directory of Award-Winning Plays This resource is a compilation of award winning plays featuring the AATE Distinguished Play Award, the AATE Unpublished Play Reading Project, ASSIEJ/USA Outstanding Play Citations, the IUPUI/Bonderman finalists, and the Kennedy Center's New Visions/New Voices selections. The list is currently being updated and should be available soon in the resources section below.
- AATE Member Plays All playwrights who are current members of AATE are invited to submit two synopses of up to 75 words each for this listing. Plays may be published or in-progress. Listings are updated annually (see resources section below).
For more information on AATE Member Plays, contact Sandy Asher.
- Playwrights Slam Each year at the AATE National Conference, the Playwrights Slam offers a preview of new work by member playwrights. Whether you are a new or established playwright, member artists are allowed five minutes to showcase their latest plays. Click here for video footage of the event.
- Publishers' Showcase Publishers work with the Playwright Network to identify new works important for the field. The Publishers' Showcase uses professional actors in a stage reading at the AATE conference every other year.
For more information on the Playwright's Showcase at the 2015 AATE Conference in Milwaukee, contact Jeremy Kisling.