- About AATE
- Programs and Events
- Support AATE
- Online Store
|Research Awards Call for Proposals|
2016 AATE RESEARCH AWARDS
THE RESEARCH AWARD
THE DISTINGUISHED DISSERTATION AWARD
THE DISTINGUISHED THESIS AWARD
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 16th, 2015
AATE’s research awards are offered annually to scholars whose research contributes significantly to the field of drama/theatre with or for young people. We welcome submissions from a wide variety of research traditions that explore any topic related to educational theatre / drama, applied theatre, and/or theatre for young audiences.
· Any AATE member may submit their work for review.
· Theses and dissertations may be entered up to four years from their date of completion (This year, theses and dissertations completed between November 2011-November 2015 are eligible for submission).
· All finalists must register for, attend, and present their research at the Annual AATE Conference to be held in Boston, MA from July 26-31, 2016.
· A cover page indicating the author’s name, affiliation, address, phone number, e-mail address, study title and (for theses/dissertation) the name and contact information of the committee chairperson
· A 1,200-1,500 word abstract of the master’s thesis, doctoral dissertation, or research report, accompanied by a 2-page representative bibliography. The abstract must NOT include any identifying information related to the author or her/his university affiliation.
· For theses and dissertations: a letter from the chairperson of the student’s committee recommending the study for consideration.
To apply, please go HERE.
Only electronic submissions in MS Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF format will be accepted.
· All submissions must be received by 11:59pm PST on November 16th, 2015.
· Authors be notified by February 5th, 2016 as to if their submission will be advanced to Round II of the review process. Authors whose works are advanced will be asked to submit electronic copies of their entire completed theses / dissertations / research reports by 11:59pm PST on February 12th, 2016.
· Finalists will be notified of award decisions by May 2nd, 2016. Award winners and authors receiving honorable mentions will share and celebrate their research at the annual AATE conference to be held July 27-31 in Boston, MA, and will be invited to submit an article based on their research to the Youth Theatre Journal for potential publication.
JUDITH KASE COOPER HONORARY RESEARCH AWARD
The AATE Judith Kase Cooper Honorary Research Award is given to honor distinguished scholars who have contributed significantly to the development of theory and research in the field of drama/theatre and education. Nominees must have made significant contributions to the body of research in drama/theatre education internationally. The focus of the award is on cumulative work accomplished over a number of years rather than on one study.
Current AATE members may begin the nomination process by e-mailing the Research Awards Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 16th, 2015 to indicate their intent to nominate a candidate for this award.
A complete nomination package will consist of the nominee's current curriculum vitae and a minimum of four letters of support testifying to the nominee’s significant international impact on the field’s research. At least three letters must be from AATE members with established research reputations; at least one must be from an established scholar whose primary area of inquiry lies outside the field of theatre education or theatre for young audiences. Additional required materials and the deadline for their receipt will be provided upon receipt of the intent to nominate e-mail.
The nominee may or may not be aware of the nomination. The Research Award Chair and jurors will hold all nominations in confidence. The nominators will be informed of the results by the Research Award Chair.
Award winners will be honored at the annual AATE conference to be held July 27-31 in Boston, MA.